An Air Warfare Destroyer being built at ASC, Osborne, Adelaide. From the road I saw Nuships Brisbane and Sydney under construction. Ship/submarine building is Adelaide's (only promising?) manufacturing growth industry. Phote courtesy Sydney's Daily Telegraph.
I've just been in Adelaide for 2 weeks to judge whether it a liveable city to move to.
My likely job(s) would be to continue to research submarine political and overview technical issues (especially Collins Upgrade and Australian Future Submarine) and supply talking point briefs to submarine businesses.
Likely move to Adelaide in next 12 months.
Criteria/issues in searching where to live includes:
1. Cost of housing. Housing + carspots large enough to host long or short term guest(s) who are
French or Australian.
2. Easy access from house to Osborne (improved motorways/roads/rail helps)
3. Nearby/accessible shopping centers and other retail services.
4. Would learning French be necessary or are Naval Group and French contractors intending to use
spoken and written English only?
5. Interesting that Adelaidians cannot seem to access better submarine information using local
hardcopy sources than is already available on Internet (accessible anywhere). For example
Reuters and the The Australian seems far better informed than what seems Adelaide's local
newspaper The Advertiser.
6. Yet Adelaide's only growing manufacturing sector seems to be ship/submarine building.
7. Aim that Submarine Matters would continue - with shorter articles.