I'm wondering what entity might conceivably gain from the leak of 20,000+ DCNS documents?
1. The leak would have damaged DCNS' reputation in India.
2. The weight of Scorpene technical details revealed might impede sales of Scorpenes.
3. The leak has not helped DCNS' reputation in Australia.
4. Substantial equipment types in the Scorpene also will exist in the Australia Shortfin, according to
DCNS. So the leak also isn't helping Shortfin sales.
What do points 1 to 4 have in common?
There are two high value selection processes going on which still haven't been fully nailed down legally. These are:
- India's Project-75I and
- Australia's SEA 1000. Australia selected the DCNS Shortfin but all the legalities are not yet fully
nailed down. Also the US Government needs to be satisfied that the sensitive US combat
system is being securely integrated (by Lockheed Martin or Raytheon). The integrator was to be
decided soon - in 2016. High US confidence in the prime foreign contractor (currently DCNS) is
implicit or explicit.
So what entity is well known to be a competitor in India's Project-75I?