Chinese submarines are becoming harder to detect. in part, due to low acoustic signatures of German supplied diesel engines on China's Song and Yuan class submarines.
It would be interesting to know:
- if Germany or other countries have supplied any AIP or submarine propellers to China?
- what material might the Chinese submarine hulls be made of (steel, alloys, Anechoic tiles)?
- the latest details of Chinese submarine and ASW characteristics, capabilities and imports.
- also Russian (SSK) submarine and ASW characteristics and capabilities are interesting given the likelihood of Russian SSK and ASW exports and designs going to China.
The following article is a bit long but German submarine engine exports to China seem substantial. I've therefore bolded Germany, MTU and Man Diesel & Turbo for easier reading.
David Lague for Reuters (Indian edition) December 20, 2013, reports http://in.reuters.com/article/2013/12/19/breakout-submarines-special-report-pix-g-idINL4N0JJ0FM20131219 :
"Chinese military's secret to success: European engineering -
* Much of China's naval fleet powered by European diesel engines
WHOLE ARTICLE above is at http://in.reuters.com/article/2013/12/19/breakout-submarines-special-report-pix-g-idINL4N0JJ0FM20131219.
PLEASE CONNECT WITH
- Intellectual Property, Stirling AIP on Chinese...Yuan Submarine, April 8, 2014 http://gentleseas.blogspot.com.au/2014/04/stirling-aip-on-chinese-type-041-yuan.html
- For further background on the embargo on arms exports to China see http://www.aspistrategist.org.au/europes-arms-trade-with-china/ .