CLASSFIED - FYBSEO*
1. developed precision guided-missile-destroyers, and
2. phased out effective large Iowa-class (16-inch, 406 mm) guns and completed since WWII heavy
cruisers' 8-inch (203 mm) guns.
The US chose to throw many $Billions at:
3. precision guided shells, and
4. extremely specialised, high risk, new technology, guns and special Zumwalt destroyer electrical
systems, to fire them.
1. huge research costs
2. high, limited quantity, production costs
3. high electronics handling and maintenance costs (compared to "dumb" rounds) when in ship's
4. all inflated by the political package of Zumwalt+gun+LRLAP being "too big to fail".